While you’re enjoying your stay with us at our luxury Flagler Beach Hotel, you’ll want to start planning some classic Florida outings, and one of our favorite places to explore is Washington Oaks Gardens State Park. Just a quick 20-minute ride down the beach by car, and you’ll be in the historic 425 acres of coastal beauty, formal gardens, and lush groves of towering Oak trees. It’s one of the most popular things to do on the Palm Coast!
You’ll wake refreshed at our Flagler Beach Hotel in our elegant guest rooms designed with relaxation in mind. Our nine guest suites all offer the perfect setting for couples hoping to spend quality one-on-one time together. As an adults-only Flagler Beach Hotel, you’ll find our quiet space ideal for reconnecting. Rooms feature high-end amenities, Helix mattresses, fine linens, bath products, and seating areas.
This starts first thing each morning! Pop by the cafe to fuel up for a day of adventuring at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park. We offer a light, continental-style breakfast with sweet and savory options. Enjoy these treats on the veranda with stunning views of the Flagler Beachfront, or you’re more than welcome to dine in the privacy of your own suite or by the pool. We can’t wait to host you; book your room at our Flagler Beach Hotel today!
The 6 Best Ways to Spend a Day at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park
Wouldn’t it be nice to sit in this shady gazebo and listen to native birds singing surrounded by flowers and lush greenery? If you’d really like to take in the flora and fauna of this area, a visit to Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is a must. There are many lovely, relaxing spots to breathe in the fresh air and immerse yourself in nature. This park holds the number two spot on TripAdvisor for the best things to do on the Palm Coast!
Below, we’ll help you plan your visit with the six best ways to spend a day exploring Washington Oaks Gardens State Park.
- The formal gardens are known as the “centerpiece” of the Washington Oaks Gardens State Park. You’ll see native and non-native plantings along your leisurely stroll among the azaleas, birds of paradise, and camellias. You won’t want to miss the elegant rose garden, perfect for a peaceful promenade surrounded by 150 hybrid tea rose bushes. This is a popular destination wedding spot, too, and our romantic Flagler Beach Hotel is the perfect place for your honeymoon!
- The crowning jewel of Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is how it gets its name—the almost 300-year-old Washington Oak. The gigantic tree has withstood the test of Florida weather: droughts, hurricanes, winds, fire, and flooding, but it still stands today as a reprieve from the sun for visitors.
- Another interesting geological element at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is the shoreline along the Atlantic Ocean, which is covered in unique coquina rock formations. Coquina is a sedimentary rock mainly composed of shells, mollusks, and other invertebrates. Due to this, there are some beautiful tide pools, and beach-combing feels even more like treasure hunting.
- Pack a picnic! Whether you spread a blanket out on the warm white sand, find a special spot under the grand Washington Oaks, or park yourself under the covered pavilion area with tables and grills, there are plenty of places to enjoy a lovely charcuterie and cheese plate while soaking up the scenery. We also suggest stopping by one of our favorite lunch spots, Ragga Surf Cafe.
- Strap on your hiking shoes or your bike helmet. Washington Oaks Gardens State Park has trails for both past times. For example, the Mala Compra, an easy half-mile hike for all levels of experience, takes you into the coastal forest and the tidal marsh along the Matanzas River. The hike and bike trails of the Bella Vista trails give you more of a glimpse of the dense canopied area and the coastal scrub line.
- Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is part of the Great Florida Birding Trail. There are more than 200 bird species native to this area; keep your eyes peeled for the Northern Gannet, a beautiful variety of seabirds that you may see diving for fish in the ocean waters. It’s also common to spot the majestic Bald Eagle around these parts.
As you can see, there is something for everyone at the Washington Oaks Gardens State Park!
Relax & Refresh at our Luxury Flagler Beach Hotel
There is no better place to come home to after a long day of exploring at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park than our Flagler Beach Inn. You’ll hear the ocean waves crashing on the beach as you take a relaxing dip in the pool or as you enjoy a glass of wine on your private balcony. If you didn’t get enough of the warm sand on your outing, our private beach area is perfect for a sunset walk or picnic. We even have umbrellas, beach towels, and chairs available for guests to borrow at their leisure.
The guest rooms at our Flagler Beach Hotel are the perfect retreat for couples seeking a romantic getaway. We even have pet-friendly rooms for those who prefer traveling with their fluffy companions. Each room has amenities such as spacious seating areas, fireplaces, ocean views, and kitchenettes. Big, comfortable beds wrapped in lush linens make for spectacular nights of sleep. You’ll love taking your time in the morning, heading down to our private pool, and planning your romantic day ahead.
If you need more reason to make our luxurious Flagler Beach Hotel your relaxing home base for your next getaway, you don’t have to take our word for it! We hold the #1 spot on TripAdvisor as the best Inn in the Flagler Beach area, with more than 350 five-star reviews—we’ve loved welcoming these past guests to our Inn! We can’t wait to host you next in our tropical paradise, where comfort and relaxation meet the beach. Head over to our availability calendar and book your private retreat today!